Written by Sarah
How To Protect Your Skin From Pollution
Pollution doesn’t just affect your lungs, but your skin too, and with levels so high in London it’s important to take care of yourself. Pollutants attack your skin on a daily basis, making it more reactive, and can block up your pores making it difficult for skin to stay healthy. Some of the effects you might notice are dilated pores, hyperpigmentation, skin dryness, premature skin ageing and a dull complexion. But there are steps you can take to prevent pollution affecting your skin…
- Cleanse your face twice a day. This will remove dirt and get rid of any pollutants before they start to affect your skin.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week. This will help to unclog your pores and remove dead skin cells, and will help prevent pollutants, dirt and bacteria from building up on your skin.
- Moisturise twice a day. Once you’ve cleansed your skin, it’s important to re-balance your skins moisture level.
- Wear sunscreen. UV rays can intensify the effects of pollutants, as well as being harmful to the skin.
- Eat foods high in antioxidants & healthy fats. Not only are they good for you, but they will help restore the skin’s hydrolipidic film and promote healthy tissues.
As well as following these simple steps there are lots of beauty and grooming products on the market that can help prevent damage from pollution – particularly look out for products that contain UV protection and antioxidants.